Step 1: Location



It's been a while since I put anything up, and that was mostly do to the first step in the process of putting together my 120: location.

I've been loosely planning this thing out for a good long while; over a year at least. It started as a loose notion that I wanted a bigger tank (but who doesn't?). My major limiting factor was where we lived. Our old apartment was a two bedroom on the second floor of a Victorian house built around the end of the 19th century. Space was a factor, but so was the structural integrity of the floor. Last November my wife and I decided that it was time to relocate back closer to our families. We were both originally from the South, and had moved out to San Francisco for jobs. I foolishly believed we would be moving "in no time", so I began collecting ideas for a bigger tank. A little thing called "the global economic meltdown" got in the way a little bit. Fast forward to June. My wife got an offer to relocate within her company home to Atlanta, and we jumped at it. As part of the relocation, we decided to bite the bullet and finally purchase a house. We moved in two weeks ago.

Our new house is a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, Craftsman built in 1920. It's been remodeled and expanded twice, so that now it's comfy at 2400 sq ft.The most recent renovation included pouring a concrete basement. Bit of constuction history: most homes built before WWII did not have concrete foundations, but typically footings. Knowing that, it was a large selling point to have a basement, which included approximately 800 sq ft of finished living space with tile floors: perfect for a 120g tank.



Now the serious planning can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment